Links and resources I use and recommend.
Maritime Weather Sites
- Beaufort Wind Scale
- National Hurricane Center – U.S.
- NWS Marine Forecasts – U.S.
- PassageWeather – Wind, wave and weather forecasts
- USCG HF Radio Schedule
- Weather Buoys Data
- Weather Online Sailing – UK & worldwide forecasts in animated pilot chart format
- Windy – Animated wind forecasts around the world
- Windfinder – Wind forecasts
Sailing Forums and Reference Sites
- Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association and Forum
- Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 Association and Forum
- Cruisers Forum
- Cruiser Log Forum
- Great Lakes Alberg Association
- Noonsite – A global cruising resource
- SSCA Discussion Board – Seven Seas Cruising Association
- SailFar.net – Small boats for long passages
- Atlas of Pilot Charts download free charts of average winds and currents
- Bellingham Charts for low-cost, full-size photocopies of worldwide charts
- NOAA RNC – Raster Navigational Charts
- OpenCPN Chart Plotter Navigation
- Salty Southeast Cruiser Net – Cruising news on the ICW and southeast USA
Cool Cruisers, Boat Designs, and Projects
- Annie Hill – Author of Voyaging on a Small Income.
- Atom Voyages – James Baldwin’s excellent off-shore sailing, repair, upgrade, and modifications of small cruising sailboats.
- Bill McCoy’s Life and Times of an Alberg 30
- Bristol 27 – Extensive refit of the B27 Wanderer
- Far Reach Voyages – Detailed refit and modifications on a Cape Dory 36
- Lackey Sailing – Tim Lackey – One man. One boat at a time.
- Lin and Larry Pardey – World renowned authors and cruisers
- Liz Clark – and the voyages of Swell, a 1966 Cal-40 in the Pacific
- Mahina Expeditions – John and Amanda Neal on the HR46 offer offshore sail-training expeditions, boat purchase consultation & cruising seminars.
- Morgan’s Cloud – Attainable Adventure Cruising
- Pearson Triton #381 restoration
- Sailing Totem – Behan & Jamie Gifford set off from Seattle aboard their Stevens 47 sloop, in 2008 and have been sailing the world ever since, raising their three children.
- The Simple Sailor – Roger Taylor’s offshore voyages on his junk rigged, twin keel, Coribee 21, Mingming
- Simplicity Boats – David Beede’s site on building small sailboats and dinghies
- Yves Gelinas – The Canadian single-handed his Alberg 30 Jean du Sud around the world in the 1980s.
- Zero to Cruising – Rebecca and Mike sold everything to begin a life of sailing adventure.
Cruisers’ YouTube Channels
- Atom Voyager – James Baldwin twice circumnavigated aboard his 28 foot Pearson Triton Atom.
- Cruising Lealea – Chuck and Laura (USA) retrofitting and cruising a 27 foot Albin Vega.
- DrakeParagon – Drake and Monique (USA) cruising aboard a Westsail 42.
- Follow The Boat – Jamie and Liz (Britain) sail their Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch.
- Life is Like Sailing – Alfy (Canada) Living Aboard and Cruising a C&C 34 on Canada’s West Coast.
- MJ Sailing – Matt and Jessica (USA) refit a 37′ custom aluminum sailboat to go cruising full time
- Sail Life – Mads Dahlke (Denmark) retrofitting a 30 foot Albin Ballad and then a Warrior 38 to go cruising full time.
- On The Wind – Andy Schell has conversations with sailors from around the world. Then there’s the occasional rant on ocean safety or narrative stories about crossing big oceans in small sailboats. (Google Play and iTunes)
Online Sailing Documentaries
- Hold Fast (2010) – Stories of maniac sailors, anarchist castaways, and the voyage of the S/V Pestilence.
- Around the World with Jean-du-Sud – A film by Yves Gélinas who circumnavigated single-handed aboard his Alberg 30. (YouTube and Vimeo)
- Allen Edwards’ L-36.com & YouTube Channel
- Captain John Jamieson’s Skipper Tips & YouTube Channel
- How to Scull a Boat – From Wooden Boat, June 1991
- Marine Survey 101
- Sheet-To-Tiller Self Steering
Dinghies to Build
- eMarine Systems
- Defender Marine – Marine supplies
- Green Boat Stuff – Environmentally friendly boating supplies
- Jamestown Distributors – Marine supplies
- Jordan Series Drogue
- McMaster-Carr – Hard to find parts for almost any project
Reference Tools & Calculators
- Blue Water Boats
- Carl Adler’s Sail Calculator
- Online Conversion Calculator
- SailboatData.com For info and data on hundreds of sailboat designs.
SSB (Single Side Band) Radio Nets & Weather
(Check linked sites for current broadcast times and frequency)
- 11:30 UTC on 8.137 MHz & 12.350 MHz – Marine Weather Center – Chris Parker
- 11:30 UTC on 6.227 MHz USB – Ocean Cruising Club Net
- 12:00 UTC on 8.170 MHz USB – Coconut Telegraph Net – Covers the entire Caribbean, into Florida, northern South America, several hundred miles east of the Windward Islands.
- 12:15 UTC on 8.104 MHz – ‘KPK’ – Glenn Tuttle broadcasting from South-West Florida – representing the Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA) and the Caribbean Safety & Security Net (CSSN)
- 12:30 UTC on 8.152 MHz – Cruiseheimers Net – Covers Eastern U.S. and Canada, The Bahamas, and northern Caribbean.
- 22:00 UTC on 8.152 MHz – Dick Giddings’ KNC Doo-Dah – taking passage reports.
- 16:00 – 01:00 UTC on 14.300 MHz – Maritime Mobile Service Network
- Northwest Caribbean and Southwest Caribbean Nets (6.209 MHz)
- Panama Connection Net (8.107 MHz)
- Waterway Radio and Cruising Club (7.268 MHz)
Free Online Cruising Books
- Across Islands and Oceans (html) – James Baldwin’s Journey Alone Around the World aboard Atom, a 1963 28 foot Pearson Triton (I purchased the a copy from Amazon) (2009)
- Confessions of a Long-Distance Sailor, by Paul Lutus, An account of an around-the-world solo sail in a 31-foot boat, 1988-1991.
- The Voyage of the Liberdade, by Joshua Slocum (1890)
- Sailing Alone Around the World, by Joshua Slocum (1900)
- Webb Chiles Storm Passages, Open Boat, The Ocean Waits, and more
Medical Online Reference
- Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook – Available as a free download, or for purchase.
Appreciate suggestions and corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated May 2017