Free Music Archive
In Canada and the U.S. Reddit is now more popular than Facebook. Globally, Facebook is still #3 behind Google.com and YouTube – Alexa
Trees have legal rights. Because nature. – Globe and Mail
Higher temperatures make it harder for students to learn and leads to lower test scores. The economic case for installing air conditioning in every school – Quartz
High-protein diets are linked to heightened risk for heart disease, even for vegetarians – Quartz
Canada’s best phone deals are in Quebec, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. Double-data mobile offers spark questions over why only some provinces get the best phone deals. – CBC
2018 National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year Contest – The Atlantic has photos
Google’s Toronto city built ‘from the internet up’ – BBC
Ben Page, the man who cycled across the Canadian Arctic
Vermont will pay you $10,000 to move there and work remotely – Quartz
Mary Meeker’s 2018 internet trends report – Quartz
- Global smartphone shipment growth has fallen to effectively nil.
- Growth in the world’s number of internet users has also slowed to about 7% in 2016, down from 12% in 2016.
- Roughly 50% of the world, about 3.6 billion people, now have some access to the internet.
- The average adult spends about 6 hours per day with a digital device.
- Wifi is everywhere: There are around 450 million wifi networks in the world, up from about 100 million five years ago.
- There are three messaging apps—WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and WeChat—that each have more than 1 billion monthly active users.
- Around 60% of all payment transactions are now done digitally, with over 500 million mobile payment users in China alone.
- We’re spending around 30 minutes each day watching videos on mobile devices.
- It’s estimated that there are more than 30 million Amazon Echo devices in users’ homes, up from about 10 million at the end of 2016.
- Roughly 13% of all retail sales come from e-commerce, up from about 5% a decade ago.